Tuesday, November 17, 2015


We are waiting out another "norther" in Marina Cortez in La Paz. Intermezzo has been bucking on her docklines like a crazed bull all day. I've been cleaning the inside of the boat and, ugh, it has been awful.

This marina is new and quite nice and the staff are very attentive and friendly. On a normal day, no complaints. But instead of a solid breakwater, like most marinas, this one has a floating wave attenuator. Clearly conditions are beyond the capabilities of this structure to do its job. I have worked on engineering projects with wave attenuators in the past and, honestly, clients have never been happy with them. They work great in principle and 90 percent of the time, but the other 10 percent just doesn't cut it.

Here's a quote from the marina's website,

The marina was designed by yacht owners and marine architects to ensure maximum comfort, ease of access and safety. Our design team visited  marinas in every major port in the World, researching, reviewing and studying details down to the width of the docks, the placement and quality of the materials, to come up with the features that the World’s best marinas share – and then we added some of our own. There is no marina  like it.

Yes, there is no other marina like it. Except perhaps the open sea on a rough day. Actually that would be more comfortable because my docklines wouldn't be snatching every five seconds and jerking the boat sideways.